AP NEWS

Cat dies in fire; family not home

March 11, 2019

A family cat died in a house fire Saturday afternoon, but the owners were not home at the time.

The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called at 1:38 p.m. to 10835 Longwood Drive, north of East Dupont Road and east of Auburn Road. When firefighters arrived, smoke was found coming from the roof, according to a news release from the department.

Crews forced entry into the home and found the fire in the laundry room.

The blaze was under control by 2:02 p.m. The home sustained moderate fire and water damage and heavy smoke damage, according to the release.

No one else was hurt. The fire remains under investigation.

Car fire spreads to Angola home

A car fire in Angola turned into a house fire at a double-residence just after 8:30 p.m. Saturday, the Angola Fire Department said.

Firefighters were called to 809-811 Stevens St., where they found a car on fire in the garage, the department said in a statement. It said the fire had spread to the home, causing heavy fire damage.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire at 9:15 p.m., the statement said.

One of the residences was occupied, but no one was hurt in the fire.