Related topics

Standoff After Restaurant Robbery Attempt

March 31, 1987

GLASTONBURY, Conn. (AP) _ A group of armed men barricaded themselves in a Chinese restaurant after a robbery attempt, but the building was empty by the time police entered it today, officials said.

Authorities had thought two gunmen remained in the Hunan Garden Restaurant in this Hartford suburb. Instead, the men apparently escaped during the night, possibly when two other suspects made getaway attempts, said Police Department spokesman Howard Charbonneau.

″It’s apparent that there were six individuals involved, three are in custody and three escaped,″ Charbonneau said.

No one was injured in the incident, officials said

Witnesses told police that six men, some armed, rushed into the restaurant at closing time Monday. The suspects, all males, were in their late teens and early 20s, Charbonneau said. All appeared to be Chinese, with little command of English.

″One employee escaped and got to a nearby store where he called police to report a robbery in progress,″ Charbonneau said.

Two suspects were spotted as they tried to flee the restaurant. One escaped, but the second was nabbed in the parking lot, Charbonneau said.

Eight or nine restaurant employees fled the building during the night. Meanwhile, police negotiators, with the help of an interpreter, persuaded two suspects to surrender at 3 a.m., Charbonneau said.

Believing that two suspects remained inside, authorities made numerous telephone calls to the restaurant throughout the morning, but the calls went unanswered.

Finally, police entered the restaurant through the front door and found the place empty. Charbonneau said those two may have fled at the same time as the two seen fleeing earlier.

The suspects in custody, all New York City residents, were identified as Sammy Yeung, 16, a native of Hong Kong; and Lee-Chi Fung, 21; and Yuet Wong, 19, both from Canton, China. Authorities didn’t know if they were U.S. citizens.

They were charged with first-degree robbery, first-degree unlawful restraint and first-degree larceny and were held without bond, pending arraignment later today.

Update hourly