Related topics

Toddler Overdoses After Eating Cocaine

August 30, 1996

TORONTO (AP) _ A Toronto toddler was in serious but stable condition after swallowing crack cocaine in his family’s apartment.

Nineteen-month-old Tyrell Davidson was rushed to the hospital after his mother noticed him acting strangely Thursday night.

``When she picked him up he went into convulsions,″ said Sgt. William Ellison of the Toronto police.

``Essentially it’s a drug overdose by accident,″ Ellison said. ``Hospital tests proved there was cocaine in his system but we don’t know the quantity.″

The boy’s mother, Stephanie Davidson, 23, told police her son had taken the cocaine out of a plastic bag found in the apartment. She said she caught a boarder using crack last week and told her to get out.

Ellison said police will consult with prosecutors on possible charges.

It was not know whether the boy would suffer any lasting damage.

Update hourly