Head of Brazilian volleyball federation steps down
SAO PAULO (AP) — The head of the international volleyball federation has stepped down as president of the sport’s body in Brazil, although the world body said Friday the decision was made months before recent accusations that officials received money from contract negotiations with sponsors.
A resignation letter from Ary Graca was presented at the Brazilian federation CVB’s annual general meeting on Friday dated from Dec. 20, 2013. The resignation had not previously been publicly announced, but world body FIVB emphasized that Graca’s decision was made last year and “was a natural development having previously taken leave of the role following his election as FIVB President at the end of 2012.”
The Brazilian body is facing scrutiny after ESPN Brasil published a recent investigation showing the alleged irregularities at the local federation.
ESPN Brasil said companies linked to federation officials illegally received about $4 million to intermediate contracts with sponsors.
Graca is not resigning from the international federation, which said he “is confident that all the procedures and administration were conducted in an open, transparent and legal way during his mandate as CBV President and is totally confident that an audit will be indicative of that.”
In the Brazilian federation, Graca succeeded Carlos Nuzman, who heads the Brazilian Olympic Committee and the 2016 Rio Games organizing committee.