AP NEWS

2 doctors find man competent for trial

January 30, 2019

Two of three doctors ordered by an Allen County judge to examine a Fort Wayne man accused of attacking two women in April with a hammer and then shooting them have found him competent to stand trial.

Raymond O. Demby, 52, faces several felony charges in the alleged attack: attempted murder, burglary with serious bodily injury, aggravated battery resulting in loss or impairment of a bodily function, domestic battery and invasion of privacy. Police say he broke into a home April 25 and attacked the women.

His attorney, William Lebrato, filed paperwork in July announcing Demby would rely on a defense of mental disease or defect. A judge later appointed two doctors to examine Demby : one found him competent to stand trial and the other disagreed.

Allen Superior Court Judge Fran Gull ordered another examination, and a third psychologist found him competent.

A status conference on the third doctor’s evaluation had been scheduled for Tuesday, but it was postponed to Friday. A trial date has not been scheduled.

The women awoke to sounds of glass breaking when Demby allegedly broke through a rear window at the home on Spatz Avenue to unlock a deadbolt about 4 a.m. He then attacked a 40-year-old woman : Demby’s ex-girlfriend : and her 18-year-old daughter, a probable cause affidavit said.

The two women forced him onto a porch, where the mother was shot, police said. The daughter was struck in the legs by gunfire as she ran to help her mother, according to investigators.

Demby was arrested after allegedly leaving in a Pontiac Aztec taken from the home and crashing it on South Harrison Street. He had blood on his hands, and a black handgun was found on the vehicle’s floor when police found him, the affidavit said.

mleblanc@jg.net

AP RADIO
Update hourly