Breakfast, lunch free in Ansonia Schools next 4 years
ANSONIA -For the city’s 2,400 students breakfast and lunch will be free for the next four years.
“This is good news for our kids,” said William Nimons, president of the city’s Board of Education. “That’s the most important way for them to start their day. It means the’re guaranteed two nutritious meals.
Nimons said Board of Education will sign off on the Connecticut State Department of Education’s documents during their Sept. 12 meeting.
“But the students already are receiving their meals,” he said.
The meals are provided as part of the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program through the Community Eligibility Provision. Payment is made by the state.
“This is great news,” said Superintendent of Schools Carol Merlone. “While our Nutrition Program will need to do a lot of behind-the-scenes work, our parents won’t have to complete any paperwork.”
Last year 78 percent of the students in the city’s four schools qualified for free meals. But to do so their parents had to fill out application forms to be qualified..
“We’ve heard from many parents, who had to fill out the same paperwork year after year,” Merlone said. “We couldn’t be happier to let everyone know that we can feed every student in our district free of charge.”