Boy, 3, Injured When Shirt Catches in Escalator
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) _ A 3-year-old boy was seriously hurt when his shirt got caught in an escalator, shredding his skin.
″As the clothes were being sucked in, he got sucked in. He was pretty well mauled,″ said paramedic Oddsvere Johannessen.
The flesh on Cody Carter’s stomach, legs and groin was shredded in the accident Saturday at a shopping mall. He was taken to Western Medical Center.
On Wednesday, the hospital refused to comment on the boy’s condition after his mother, Kathy Carter of Orange, asked that information be withheld.
The toddler apparently fell before becoming trapped.
″We know it was not the result of equipment malfunction,″ said Judy Bijlani, the MainPlace Mall’s marketing director.
Officials at Westinghouse Elevator Co., which installed the escalator, refused to comment.