Downpour leads to flooding at trailer park

August 5, 2018
1 of 2

Heavy rains cause flooding at Westwood Mobile Home Park on Friday in Culloden.

HUNTINGTON — Just three days after strong winds ripped trees from the ground by their roots in eastern Cabell County and Putnam County, Mother Nature reared her head once more, causing the evacuation of dozens in a mobile home park.

Rob Savage, chief of the Hurricane Volunteer Fire Department, said residents at the Westwood Mobile Home Park, located off U.S. 60 on the Culloden/Hurricane border, were evacuated at about 10:30 a.m. Friday following flash flooding.

Savage said the St. Albans Water Rescue Unit assisted in the evacuations as the waters reached upwards of four feet, nearly level or slightly above many of the trailer doorways.

“It was a hard rain but everybody got out, everybody is safe, everyone is accounted for and all the pets are accounted for,” he said.

Thankfully, Savage said just as quickly as the water rose, it also receded giving the chance for residents to re-enter their homes later Friday afternoon.

“The biggest loss they are going to have is the property,” he said.

This is not the first time flooding has been a problem in this area; Savage said the mobile home park also experienced high water during the historic June 2016 flooding.

Savage said the mobile home park consists of roughly 10 to 12 trailers and three to four campers being used by people working on the nearby pipeline.

Savage said the heavy rainfall started around 8:30 a.m. and was completely unexpected.

“It just kind of happened,” he said. “We were not expecting this. I actually got an email from the 911 center at 9:20 this morning about the flooding but at that point it was already happening.”

Savage said the heavy downpour also caused the reservoir at Hurricane City Park to seep out of its banks and onto the roadway, resulting in the closure of Teays Valley Road for several hours. Social media users reported high water in the 1800 block of U.S. 60 in Culloden and at the Hidden Brook Apartment complex between Culloden and Milton.

Savage said many in the area were still cleaning up from Tuesday’s natural disaster, which brought down a number of trees. The National Weather Service out of Charleston said Friday the damage Tuesday was caused by “damaging straight-line winds from a thunderstorm.”

“They were still clearing up from Tuesday’s storm then this rain hit,” he said.

Cleanup is expected to take several days.

Update hourly