AP NEWS
Related topics

Elderly couple dies in western Maine house fire

January 5, 2014

GREENVILLE, Maine (AP) — Officials say an elderly couple was found dead after a fire swept through their western Maine home.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire was reported early Saturday morning in by a neighbor and the house was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. The bodies of a man and woman, both in the late 70s, were located in or near the home’s living room. Officials say they apparently were trying to escape the fire.

Authorities did not release the names of the victims pending notification of family.

The fire marshal’s office says the fire originated in the dining room where a wood stove was located. The office says the extent of damage will prevent a determination of the fire’s cause.

AP RADIO
Update hourly