Click to copy
Click to copy

Parkside Drive fire ruled accident; damage at $12K

KELSEY RETTKE krettke@shawmedia.comMay 22, 2019

DeKALB – Investigators have detemined that a Saturday night fire in a unit at the Parkside Drive Apartments on Sycamore Road was started accidentally, DeKalb Fire Chief Jeff McMaster said.

McMaster said that the investigation into the fire found it was started by careless smoking, causing $12,000 in damage to an apartment in the complex at 1329 Sycamore Road, overlooking Hopkins Park. McMaster said the fire was confined to the living room of that unit, and was caused by the occupant not putting out a cigarette.

First responders were called to the apartments at 11:35 p.m. Saturday to fight the fire, which caused smoke damage throughout the building, but no heat or water damage to any units other than the one where the fire started. That apartment has been deemed uninhabitable.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.