Day in History: Dr. Billy Graham visits local United Fund meeting
1993 – 25 years ago
• Doug Boese, a local attorney, is one of six to be inducted into Concordia College Moorhead’s athletic hall of fame. Boese lettered all four years; one in basketball and three in football. He received several Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference honors.
• Jana Erdmann, a senior from Lewiston-Altura, is pictured on the cover of Minnesota’s women’s golf media guide.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Dr. Billy Graham, famed evangelist now in Rochester for a Mayo Clinic examination, paid a visit to the United Fund meeting at Heritage Hall in the Kahler Center. Dr. Graham urged all Americans to back the next president and all Rochester citizens to make the current United Fund appeal a success.
• Rochester State Hospital staff psychologist Dr. Richard Holroyd has received a $1,800 grant for a study that will follow progress of 100 patients as they’re discharged over the next year.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Maj. Gen. David Grant of the U.S. Army Air Forces and Air Marshall H. E. Whittingham, general of medical services in the London air ministry were in Rochester today to visit and inspect Rochester’s work and research in aviation medicine. At the same time, Dr. A. H. Bubulian of Rochester was commended for his work in the development of the B-L-B oxygen mask.
• Many publishing houses are reporting shortages of Bibles resulting from the lack of sufficient paper to meet demands for the book.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Nurses will be registered this week at the Red Cross work room on First Avenue South. All who can nurse are expected to register.
• The Rochester businessmen’s luncheon will be held at the YMCA in the interests of the dry amendment. Guest speaker will be former Gov. Samuel Van Sant.
• Miss Catherine Smith, a female railroad employee who works as the night operator at the Byron depot, has been promoted to work at the larger Claremont railway station.