AP NEWS
Related topics

Fire kills Louisiana man, 74; started in rug near wood stove

December 24, 2018

GILBERT, La. (AP) — The Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s Office says a 74-year-old man has died after trying to put out a fire in carpet near a wood stove.

The Franklin Parish Coroner’s Office identifies him as Roy Denmon.

His 70-year-old wife told fire investigators she was starting a fire in the stove when the carpet began burning Monday morning.

Coroner’s spokesman Shane Scott says she told a coroner’s investigator she was using diesel fuel, and some spilled.

She told fire investigators the blaze “exploded” when they opened the door. She got out through a window.

Fire destroyed the brick house in Gilbert, Louisiana, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Vicksburg, Mississippi.

The fire marshal’s office says they tried to put it out with baking soda, which can create blinding smoke.

AP RADIO
Update hourly