Red Cross needs donors
Given the unusually coldweather and snow and cold, and the flu and other illnesses that tend to be prevalent this time of year, the Red Cross is having a hard time drumming up donors, and supplies are in danger of getting low.
All eligible donors, especially platelet donors and blood donors with type O blood, are urgently needed to help restock the shelves for hospital patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in.
Anyone who is at least 17, or 16 with parental consent, weighs at least 110 pounds and is in general good health should be eligible to donate blood.
Schedule an appointment by using the free Blood Donor App, at RedCrossBlood.org or at 800-733-2767. Walk-ins also are welcome.
Local information can be found at www.redcross.org/quadcities or by calling the Lincolnland Chapter in Rock Falls at 815-625-0382, or the Rock River Valley Blood Center in Rockford at www.rrvbc.org or 815-965-8751.
Upcoming blood drives include:
• 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Rock Falls Community Building, 601 W. 10th St.
• 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at CGH Medical Center, 100 E. LeFevre Road in Sterling.
• 2 to 6 p.m. Friday at Sterling Heritage Woods, 2205 Oak Grove Ave.
• 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Friday at Milledgeville High School, 100 E. Eighth St.
• 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 13 at Sterling High School, 1608 Fourth Ave.
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 18 and 1 to 6 p.m. Feb. 19 at the KSB Lovett Center, 101 W. First St., Dixon
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Rock Falls Community Building, 601 W. 10th St.
• 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 27 at the Illinois Department of Transportation, 819 Depot Ave. in Dixon.
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 1 at Dixon Sauk Valley Fitness, 300 Division Ave.
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 25 at Sauk Valley Community College, 173 state Route 2, Dixon.
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass to complete their reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, before arriving at the blood drive.
To get started, follow the instructions at redcrossblood.org/RapidPass or use the Blood Donor App.