AP NEWS

Suspect in Santa Fe motel shooting case accused of rape

May 24, 2019

A Santa Fe man released from jail on conditions of house arrest and electronic monitoring after being charged in connection with a March shooting at a Cerrillos Road motel is now accused of raping a 20-year-old woman Wednesday, court records show.

Santa Fe police issued an arrest warrant Thursday for Miguel Saenz-Pardo, 19, on suspicion of criminal sexual penetration, aggravated battery and false imprisonment, and arrested him during an evening traffic stop, police Capt. Paul Joye said.

Saenz-Pardo had been arrested five days after the March 21 shooting during a suspected drug deal at the Motel 6, 3007 Cerrillos Road. The 31-year-old victim was wounded in the arm and abdomen and survived.

Police issued an arrest warrant for Saenz-Pardo after a woman came to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center on Wednesday night saying she had been sexually assaulted by two men at a party at a Santa Fe trailer park early that morning.

The second male was still being sought, Joye said.

The woman, described by a hospital nurse in the arrest warrant affidavit as developmentally disabled, said she had gone to a party in the Tierra Rael trailer park, near Airport Road, with two friends at about midnight.

The woman told detectives that after a few hours of drinking, a male friend at the party whom she knew as “Hector” asked her to go into the back bedroom of the trailer with him and another male. She then was pressured into smoking methamphetamine, which she said she had never done before.

The woman told detectives “Hector” began groping her, and though his advances were unwanted, she was unable to move or say anything due to the effects of the drug.

The other male left the room, and “Hector” grabbed her throat, choking her, and then raped her, the woman told detectives. Afterward, he laughed and left the room, she said.

The other, unidentified male entered the room, locked the door, and also raped her, the woman told detectives.

After that, a friend of the woman began arguing with “Hector” and the unidentified male about the alleged assaults, but was afraid to fight with “Hector” because he was known to carry a gun, the woman said. “Hector” then drove her home, she said.

One of the woman’s friends was able to show detectives the Facebook account of “Hector” and detectives who were working other cases involving Saenz-Pardo positively identified him through a photo of “Hector,” according to the affidavit.

Court records indicate Saenz-Pardo has an alias of “Hector Salas.”

The shooting case, in which Saenz-Pardo is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, robbery and conspiracy, is pending in court. Prosecutors argued in a March 28 court filing that Saenz-Pardo — who was believed to have been armed with a gun during the alleged drug deal robbery, but whose unidentified co-defendant in the case was alleged to have shot the man — should be held in custody pending trial.

But a judge on April 4 ordered him released on a $2,500 unsecured appearance bond, electronic monitoring and house arrest, court records show. Inmate records indicate he was released from jail the same day.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press.All rights reserved.