Related topics

Some of Those Killed in Attacks

October 4, 2001

Some of those confirmed dead or reported dead in the terrorist attacks Sept. 11:

GERALD P. ``GEEP″ FISHER, 57, of Potomac, Md., was one of four members of the consulting firm Booz-Allen & Hamilton Inc. attending a meeting at the Pentagon. ``Everyone was charmed by Geep,″ said Joyce Doria, a senior vice president at Booz-Allen. ``He was a person who could always convince you that something was doable.″ Fisher had been looking forward to the Sept. 23 wedding of his son, Jonathan. The wedding was postponed after the attack. ``If you had a problem, you could always go to him, and he’d help you work through it,″ said Alexis Radoca, Jonathan Fisher’s fiancee. ``One of the hardest parts of all this is that there’s no one to go to now.″

ALAYNE F. GENTUL, 44, of Mountain Lakes, N.J., called her husband after the first hijacked airliner hit the World Trade Center, across from the tower where she worked as director of human resources for Fiduciary Trust International. Then she went to help her colleagues get out of the second tower. ``At least we got to say goodbye,″ Jack Gentul said. ``The chair of Fiduciary told me at least 40 people are alive because of Alayne.″

THOMAS HANNAFIN, 36, of New York, had been a firefighter for 10 years and was a great athlete. He captured a gold medal earlier this year in the three-on-three basketball competition at the World/Police Fire Department Games in Indianapolis. He was last seen on the 37th floor of a trade center tower. ``He was a family man who was always with his children and his wife, and he was a great athlete and team guy,″ said Kevin Hannafin, who was among the rescue workers who recovered his brother’s body.

WALTER MATUZA, 39, of New York, a telecommunications analyst at the Carr Futures brokerage, called his wife the morning of Sept. 11 from his cell phone to tell her that he was running down the stairs of the trade center. ``He just said the firemen were on the way, (that the) floors were exploding,″ Denise Matuza said.

JOHN J. MURRAY, 32, of Hoboken, N.J., a partner and director at Cantor Fitzgerald, wished his wife and 5-month-old daughter an especially tender farewell Sept. 11. Rory Owens Murray was taking Alyson Rose with her on a business trip to San Francisco. ``When we said goodbye, it was full of kisses and hugs and ‘I love yous’ because we thought we wouldn’t see each other for a week,″ she said.

JOSEPH PATRICK SHEA, 47, and his brother DANIEL JAMES SHEA, 37, both of Pelham Manor, N.Y., worked at Cantor Fitzgerald in the World Trade Center. Joseph Shea was a senior executive managing director and a partner of the firm. Over the past 10 years, he coached children’s baseball and hockey teams and was a regional coordinator for Georgetown University alumni. Daniel Shea was a managing director and partner at Cantor Fitzgerald. He was involved in several charities and was an avid sports fan who particularly enjoyed playing golf.

LT. JOHN WILLIAMSON, 46, of Warwick, N.Y., a New York fire department battalion commander, was passionate about life and dedicated to his job. ``There is no greater love than this _ to lay down one’s life for one’s friends,″ said his brother, Dan. Williamson’s teen-age daughter, Jessica, said her father had a smile that could light up a room. ``He was never fake to anyone,″ she said. ``My dad believed 110 percent in everything he did. I will always be my daddy’s little girl.″

Update hourly