Electrical Fire Closes Gym in Lancaster
LANCASTER -- The Orchard Hills Athletic Club will be closed for the time being after an electrical fire burned through a small part of the Duval Road gym Sunday morning.
According to a statement released by Lancaster Fire Chief Michael Hanson, Nashoba Valley Regional Dispatch received a 911 call for a reported fire in the ceiling of the men’s locker room at about 8:38 a.m., requiring the gym to be evacuated Sunday morning. Hanson said the incident led to no reported injuries.
“The fire was knocked down quickly with one line stretched. All fire was contained to the area of the sauna, causing approximately $50,000 in damage,” said Hanson. “Due to the size of the building, the ventilation fan unit was called from Fitchburg to ventilate the building.”
The gym was closed Sunday due to the damage left from the fire, but it was announced via social media that it planned to reopen by Tuesday morning. That timeline was revised on Monday.
“Unfortunately the electrical damage to Orchard Hills is more than we anticipated,” read a statement posted on the gym’s Facebook page. “We will remain closed at least through Tuesday. Please know we are doing everything in our power to get the club or part of the club open as soon as possible.”
According to Hanson, the fire is being viewed as an accident caused by an electrical issue in the gym’s sauna.
In addition to Lancaster’s firefighters, departments from Shirley, Harvard, Devens, Leominster, Clinton, and West Boylston also responded Sunday morning.
Follow Peter Jasinski on Twitter @PeterJasinski53