Related topics

ACT beat Chiefs in 2013 Super Rugby final replay

April 25, 2014

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The ACT Brumbies scored their fourth bonus-point try with 20 minutes remaining as they beat the defending champion Chiefs 41-23 on Friday in a rematch of last year’s Super Rugby finalists.

Leading 13-6 at halftime, the Brumbies scored two tries and piled on 23 points by the 70-minute mark, while the Hamilton-based Chiefs, who won last year’s Super title with a 27-22 win over the Brumbies, added two late tries to make the score more respectable.

It was the Brumbies’ fourth win in a row at home and kept the side in first place in the Australian conference, six points ahead of the New South Wales Waratahs, who lost 21-13 to the Blues in Auckland earlier Friday.

Chiefs flyhalf Gareth Anscombe opened the second half with a penalty, but the Brumbies came back through an acrobatic try in the corner to winger Joe Tomane to lead 18-9, the first of 18 consecutive points by the home side.

The Chiefs finished strongly with tries to replacements Brad Weber and Josh Hohneck, but an intercept try after the siren to flyhalf Matt Toomua, his second of the match, ended any hopes of a bonus point for the Chiefs for finishing within seven points.

“We were out for a complete 80 minutes,” ACT captain Ben Mowen said. “When you’re in form and working hard, it works for you. They caught us napping a few times in the second half, but we adapted well on the run.”

Chiefs captain Liam Messam said his team made too many mistakes in the second half.

“They stuck it to us,” Messam said. “We got some great phases going, but made some silly errors ... schoolboy stuff, and we need to work on that. Discipline let us down.”



ACT Brumbies 41 (Tevita Kuridrani 2, Matt Toomua 2, Joe Tomane tries; Christian Leali’ifano conversion, 2 penalties, Nic White conversion, 2 penalties), Chiefs 23 (Josh Hohneck, Brad Weber tries; Andrew Horrell 2 conversions, Gareth Anscombe 3 penalties). HT: 13-6.

Update hourly