Mother Struggling To Pay Bills Needs Help For Gifts

December 14, 2018

Six-year-old Nathan and 4-year-old Andrew hear kids in school talk about Christmas and they think Santa is coming. Their mom, Elizabeth, worries that Santa won’t come. She is a single mother of four children. In addition to Nathan and Andrew, she has a 4-year-old son David and a 1-year-old daughter Mia. In a letter to Valley Santa, she wrote that Mia hardly has any baby toys. Last year, Elizabeth made $1,500 for the year babysitting. She said the person who filed her income taxes incorrectly wrote that she made $15,000 and as a result, she could not receive Supplemental Security Income benefits. “I’m sick to my stomach over this. All I do is cry,” Elizabeth wrote in her letter. “I have absolutely no money to buy gifts and no money to pay rent or bills. I will most likely end up in a shelter home. I can’t get into low-income housing. I pay regular rent to a landlord. I am a complete mess.” Elizabeth asked for Valley Santa’s help so that her children could receive presents for Christmas. For children like Nathan, Andrew, David and Mia, Valley Santa is their only Santa. Everyone is encouraged to donate to Valley Santa to purchase Christmas gifts for children in need throughout Luzerne County. “Anything you could help me with would be appreciated,” Elizabeth wrote. “Thank you so much and God bless.” TO GIVE Send a check or money order to The Valley Santa Fund Inc., P.O. Box 5276, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. Checks should be made payable to The Valley Santa Fund Inc. Visit valleysanta.org to donate via PayPal. All donations are tax deductible. Monetary donations also will be accepted at any M&T Bank branch in the Wyoming Valley. Because Santa has no workshop or warehouse space, no new or used toys can be accepted. Donors’ names will be published in The Citizens’ Voice and Standard-Speaker. TO VOLUNTEER Call Help Line: 570-829-1341. TO REQUEST Write a letter in care of Valley Santa, P.O. Box 5268, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. Explain the need that exists in as much detail as possible. You must include your name, ages and genders of your children, your full address, zip code and telephone number. The letter must be co-signed by a clergy member or social worker and must include their name, address and telephone number for confirmation purposes. Requests will be considered for children 12 years of age and younger. Requests must be postmarked by Dec. 15. No telephone requests will be accepted.

Update hourly