AP NEWS
Related topics

Alleged Bombers to Be Executed

August 30, 1986

NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) _ Iran’s official news agency said today that members of a terrorist ring who allegedly set off a car bomb in the holy city of Qom two weeks ago will be executed at the scene of the blast.

The Islamic Republic News Agency, monitored in Nicosia, quoted Iranian Information Minister Mohammed Mohammedi Reyshahri as saying the executions would take place in the next few days.

He did not give a specific date or say how many suspects would be executed.

The bomb that exploded outside the Hazrat Masoumeh mosque on Aug. 16, during Islam’s holiest feast of al-Adha, killed 13 people and wounded about 100 others.

IRNA quoted Reyshahri as saying the families of the victims requested the bombers be executed at the site in Qom, about 80 miles south of Tehran.

Reyshahri announced last week that authorities had broken up two ″terrorist networks″ and arrested members who were behind the Qom blast and six other explosions in Tehran this year. By official count, the Tehran explosions killed 25 people and wounded more than 150.

There has been no word of the suspects being tried in court.

Iranian officials have said the terrorist rings were backed by Iraq, with whom Iran has been fighting a border war since September 1980, and an underground Iranian opposition group called Mujahedeen Khalq, or the People’s Warriors.

Mujahedeen Khalq has been fighting Iran’s fundamentalist Islamic government but denies involvement in bombings that cause civilian casualties.

AP RADIO
Update hourly