IRVING, Texas (AP) — Dallas defensive end Anthony Spencer is likely to play a second straight season under a one-year contract after talks with the Cowboys failed to produce a long-term deal.
Spencer’s agent, Jordan Woy, said Tuesday that both sides are happy even without a deal. Spencer said earlier this month he wasn’t worried about his contract situation. He can’t sign a multiyear deal after July 15.
The 29-year-old Spencer signed a $10.6 million tender in March after Dallas put the franchise tag on him for the second year in a row. Spencer made $8.8 million in 2012, when he led the Cowboys with a career-high 106 tackles and had his first double-digit sack season with 11.
Spencer is moving from linebacker to defensive end with the Cowboys switching to the 4-3.