Former United employee made bomb threats
DALLAS (AP) — A former United Airlines flight attendant from Germany has agreed to plead guilty to making a bomb threat against a United jet flying between London and Los Angeles.
The man’s attorney said that United had declined to investigate the man’s claims that a male supervisor sexually harassed him.
A United spokeswoman confirmed that the man had worked for the airline but declined to comment further. The man had been hired by American Airlines to become a flight attendant shortly before he was arrested.
According to court documents, Patrick Cau used pay phones near his Los Angeles home and around America to make threats against six United flights between last October and January.
Under an agreement filed last week in federal district court in Los Angeles, Cau will plead guilty to one count of making a bomb threat against a plane. Cau, who also goes by the name Patrick Kaiser, is expected to enter a plea Monday and be sentenced this fall.
The felony charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a fine of $250,000, although federal prosecutors agreed to recommend a lesser sentence.
Cau agreed to pay restitution — United said it lost $267,912 because the flights were delayed or canceled after the threats — and, as a German citizen, he also faces possible deportation.
His attorney, John Duran, said that Cau worked for United for 15 years and rose to the position of purser or head flight attendant. Duran said Cau filed a sexual-harassment case against a male supervisor, but the case “didn’t go anywhere.”
“There was an actual basis for his unhappiness with United,” Duran said. “He’s a good guy who made some really poor decisions.”
Cau was indicted in May and remains in custody. Doran said his immigration status made him ineligible for bail.