Israeli Dies Of Wounds From Attack
JERUSALEM (AP) _ A 44-year-old Israeli civilian died of wounds from a firebomb attack by Palestinians on his pickup truck in the occupied West Bank, a hospital spokesman said.
It was the first Israeli civilian death from attacks on West Bank roads in two years and came during an upsurge in assaults by Palestinians, a military source said.
Dr. Yitzhak Moore of Beilinson Hospital said the man who died Thursday, Pinchas David, had been in a coma after receiving third degree burns to his head, chest and lungs from two firebombs hurled at his pickup truck near the West Bank town of Qalqiliya last Friday.
A military source, who spoke on condition he not be identified, said David, a flower grower, was on his way home from dropping off Palestinian workers when the attack occurred near his home in Kfar Saba, 10 miles northeast of Tel Aviv.
After weeks of relative calm, military sources reported 11 attacks since Jan. 21, including stonings of buses and automobiles, a grenade attack and a shooting attack on a bus near Bethlehem on Wednesday that wounded two Israeli passengers.
Most attacks on Israeli vehicles in the West Bank are stonings that cause few injuries. The last Israeli killed on a West Bank road was a 20-year-old Israeli soldier, Esther Ohana. She died two weeks after being knocked unconscious by stones in January 1983.