Blind Man Wins Right To Use Water Slide
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) _ A blind man has successsfully challenged a policy that banned him from a water slide at an amusement park because of safety concerns.
Tom Kinne threatened to sue after being barred last year from Adventure Island’s Everglides, a two-lane water slide with a 72-foot drop.
The policy was changed in August after the park polled other amusement centers, discussed the issue with the ride manufacturer and consulted with the National Federation of the Blind, said park spokeswoman Glenda Gilmore.
″Our questions for safety, I think, were well-founded,″ she said.
Under the new policy, blind riders must notify park officials. Then one lane will be closed so the blind rider won’t jeopardize himself or others.
Kinne said he went to the park Saturday for the first time in a year.
″I rode it 15 times,″ he said. ″It was a blast and a half. I’m going next Saturday ... every Saturday. I’ve been cooped up all summer.″