Related topics

Three Captured Escapees Waive Extradition

December 25, 1986

KINGMAN, Ariz. (AP) _ Three fugitives captured in the Arizona desert earlier this week after three weeks at large have agreed to return to Delaware to face charges stemming from their escape from prison.

The three, two of them convicted murderers, agreed Wednesday to waive extradition. Superior Court Judge Steven Conn ordered them returned to Mohave County jail to wait for Delaware authorities to pick them up.

Conn revoked the $750,000 bond set for each earlier by another judge.

Planned Arizona charges against the three probably will be dropped, said Mohave County Deputy Attorney Jace Zack, as long as Delaware authorities seek stiff enough charges to see that they are imprisoned for a long time.

Conn said a planned Jan. 2 preliminary hearing on the planned Arizona counts of attempted first-degree murder, felony flight and possession of a stolen vehicle will not be canceled until the three are taken to Delaware to face charges of being fugitives from justice.

The three were identified as Richard M. Irwin, 26, of Coatesville, Pa., convicted of second-degree murder; Mark A. McCoy, 25, of New Castle, Del., convicted of first-degree murder, and Larry D. Nave, 22, of New Castle, convicted of rape, robbery, burglary and other charges.

They escaped Dec. 1 from the Delaware Correctional Center near Smyrna, officials said. Authorities began searching for them in Arizona following Monday night’s robbery of a convenience store in Utah, 10 miles north of the Arizona state line.

Police chased the suspects’ car into Arizona, exchanging shots before the three fled on foot into the desert, said Sgt. Allan Schmidt, state Department of Public Safety spokesman. The fugitives surrendered Tuesday evening near Littlefield, Schmidt said.

A fourth man, identified as David F. Dawson, 31, of Kenton, Del., escaped with the three, but he was arrested the next day. He was charged with murder in the stabbing death of a woman who was killed hours after the escape. The three other escapees were not charged in the woman’s slaying.

Before Monday’s robbery in Utah, the previous last known siting of the men was on Dec. 2 when they abducted a Wilmington, Del., woman and drove her around for several hours before releasing her unharmed, police said.

Update hourly