Mann will run Indy 500 with Dale Coyne Racing
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — British driver Pippa Mann will run in next month’s Indianapolis 500 for Dale Coyne Racing, her first race since she was injured in the 2011 IndyCar season finale that killed Dan Wheldon.
The team said Tuesday the 29-year-old Mann will join fellow Briton Justin Wilson and Brazilian Ana Beatriz to complete three Honda-powered entries in the race. Mann became the eighth woman to qualify for and race in the Indy 500 in 2011.
Mann said she was delighted to be in a car for Coyne.
“I actually got very close to getting in one of Dale’s cars on Bump Day last year,” she said. “A year later, we’ve now put this program together, and I cannot wait to be back on track with Honda and running at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May.”
In 2011, as a rookie, Mann was one of 15 drivers involved in the fiery accident in Las Vegas that killed Wheldon, a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner.
Photographs of the accident show Mann’s car sailing through the air upside down and engulfed in flames. Her car landed upside down, and, unable to open her eyes because of all the dirt and debris in her helmet, she could only wait for safety workers to arrive. Mann, one of three injured drivers, later had surgery to repair the badly burned pinkie finger on her right hand.
“We have known and followed Pippa from her first interest in coming over to America and the IndyCar series,” team owner Dale Coyne said. “Her hard work and dedication are commendable and have shown results. She has qualified for Indy, qualified on pole at Indianapolis for the Indy Lights race, won an Indy Lights race at Kentucky and has been a great asset for the sport”.