AP NEWS

Parents speak out after baby dies while using Fisher-Price sleeper

April 10, 2019

A heartbroken couple is hoping to prevent more tragedies after their 5-month-old son died in a rocking sleeper.

Keenan and Evan Overton’s son died in Dec. 2017 while in the Fisher-Price Rock n’ Play product. On Tuesday, the American Academy of Pediatrics called for its immediate recall.

The notice came less than a week after the Consumer Product Safety Commission asked customers to stop using the product if their children are unable to roll over.

“Fisher-Price and Mattel, their parent company, we’re in negotiations to just discuss what we expect from us talking out and speaking out about the dangers of this chair,” Evan Overton said. “But really our main thing is to inform other people so that it won’t happen to somebody else.”

Last week, Fisher-Price issued a warning for the product, citing infant deaths, but the AAP said the warning did not go far enough to protect infants.