Songwriters Name ‘In My Life’ Best
LONDON (AP) _ A group of legendary pop songwriters has named the Beatles’ ``In My Life″ as the greatest song ever written.
The autobiographical John Lennon song, which appeared on the 1965 ``Rubber Soul″ album, beat the Rolling Stones’ ``Satisfaction″ to lead the list, which was compiled from top ten lists submitted by 20 famous songwriters, including Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, legendary ’50s lyricist Jerry Leiber, and Burt Bacharach collaborator Hal David.
Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg’s ``Over The Rainbow,″ from ``The Wizard of Oz,″ was third.
The Beatles had two songs on the list, compiled for the respected British music magazine Mojo.
The full list, with the artists who made them famous:
1. ``In My Life″ _ The Beatles
2. ″(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction″ _ Rolling Stones
3. ``Over The Rainbow″ _ Judy Garland
4. ``Here, There And Everywhere″ _ The Beatles
5. ``Tracks Of My Tears″ _ Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
6. ``The Times They Are A-Changin‴ _ Bob Dylan
7. ``Strange Fruit″ _ Billie Holiday
8. ``I Can’t Make You Love Me″ _ Bonnie Raitt
9. ``People Get Ready″ _ The Impressions
10. ``You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin‴ _ The Righteous Brothers