WINTER HAVEN, Fla. (AP) _ The Boston Red Sox trimmed their roster to 31 players Friday, sending eight rookies to the minor league complex for assignment.
Cut were right-handed pitchers Charlie Mitchell, Tommy McCarthy and Robin Fuson, catcher Dave Malpeso, first baseman Sam Horn, and outfielders Gus Burgess, Mike Greenwell and Kevin Romine. ---
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Organizers of the 1984 Olympics want to spend part of the $225 million surplus from the Summer Games on an arts festival, using some of the money intended for amateur sports.
The proposal would require an amendment in the Los Angeles Olympic Organizing Committee’s articles of incorporation, but a spokeswoman for the state attorney general’s office said the change would pose no problem.
″It’s a technical correction,″ said assistant attorney general Carole Kornblum. ″We would anticipate this would be permissible. The arts festival is the only amendment (the LAAOC is seeking).″
The LAOOC’s incorporation charter calls for 60 percent of the surplus funds to go to the U.S. Olympic Committee. The remaining 40 percent is to be divided among amateur sports programs in Southern California.
Olympics Arts Festival coordinator Robert Fitzpatrick declined to say how much funding the group expects to receive, but LAOOC sources told the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner that the amount was about $2 million. ---
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) - England’s Malcolm Mackensie fired his second consecutive two-under-par 70 Friday and took the lead after the second round of the $64,000 Zimbabwe Open Golf Championship at the Royal Harare Golf Club.
Mackensie’s 36-hole total of 140 put him one stroke ahead of David Llewellyn of Wales, who carded a second-round 68.
Scotland’s Brian Barnes, who had opened with a 67, fell four strokes off the pace with a second-round 77. ---
LUCERNE VALLEY, Calif. (AP) - A field of more than 200 off-road racers is expected to compete in the inaugural SCORE Great Mohave 250 Saturday.
The event is the third in the eight-race SCORE International-High Desert Racing Association series that runs through next November’s SCORE Baja 1000.
Among those expected to race are Mickey Thompson of Bradbur Estates, Calif.; Rod Hall of Reno, Nev.; Jack Johnson of Las Vegas, Nev.; Ivan Stewart of Lakeside, Calif., and Walker Evans of Riverside, Calif.
They’ll be joined by celebrities including video music producer Michael Nesmith and John Clark Gable, son of the renowned film star.
The race also will mark the off-road debut of Parnelli Jones, Jr., who is scheduled to ride with Evans in his Dodge pickup truck.
The race will be two loops over a course about 140 miles around, starting and ending in this tiny desert community.
The official end of the race will be early Sunday, although a winner will be declared earlier. The field is expected to be made up of 65 motorcycle and all-terrain vehicle riders and 160 drivers of cars and trucks. ---
ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) - The European Soccer Federation (UEFA) Friday imposed its highest-ever fine - $75,000 - on Inter Milan for rowdy fan behavior in a European Cup match March 6 match against FC Cologne.
The fine was announced in a press release after a meeting of UEFA’s control and discipline commission.
Smoke bombs and sparklers lit by spectators created a thick cloud of haze that delayed the start of the Inter Milan game by six minutes, the press release said. The commission also took into account rowdiness during earlier Inter Milan matches in setting the fine, it said.
The Italian team has until Monday to appeal the fine. ---
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - University of Minnesota basketball player Todd Alexander, charged with two misdemeanor thefts, agreed Friday to enter a program for first-time offenders.
Hennepin County Municipal Court Judge Cara Lee Neville said that if Alexander completes the program successfully, his case would be dismissed and he would not have a criminal record.
Under the program, participants set goals for keeping out of trouble. The program usually lasts six months to a year. If Alexander fails the program, the city will proceed with the charges against him.
Alexander, an 18-year-old freshman from Waxahachie, Texas, was charged last month with petty theft for allegedly stealing a radio and tape deck from another student. Earlier, he was charged with using a lost or stolen bank card to withdraw $190.
Coach Jim Dutcher had suspended Alexander pending resolution of the charges. ---
TORONTO (AP) - Team Canada’s roster for the world hockey championships in Prague, Czechoslovakia next month was increased to 13 Friday with the addition of five members of the Hartford Whalers.
Alan Eagleson, chairman of Hockey Canada’s international committee, announced that Hartford goaltenders Mike Liut and Steve Weeks, and forwards Ron Francis, Sylvain Turgeon and Kevin Dineen had been added to the team. The Whalers were officially eliminated from National Hockey League playoff contention Thursday night.