AP NEWS

U.S. military deletes, apologizes for New Year’s Eve bomb tweet

January 1, 2019

The U.S. military on Monday night deleted and apologized for a New Year’s Eve tweet that joked about bombing America’s enemies.

In the tweet, U.S. Strategic Command marked the end of 2018 with a show of force.

″#TimesSquare tradition rings in the #NewYear by dropping the big ball...if ever needed, we are #ready to drop something much, much bigger,” the tweet read.

Accompanying the message was a video of American stealth fighter jets dropping 30,000-pound bombs on targets at a test range.

The tweet was quickly deleted, and by later Monday evening, the military formally apologized.

“Our previous NYE tweet was in poor taste does not reflect our values. We apologize,” U.S. Strategic Command tweeted. “We are dedicated to the security of America allies.”

The bombs shown in the footage were not nuclear, a Pentagon spokesperson told NBC News.

“This post, which has since been deleted, was part of our year in review series meant to feature our command priorities: strategic deterrence, decisive response and combat-ready force,” the spokesperson said. “It was a repost from earlier in the year, dropping a pair of conventional Massive Ordnance Penetrators (MOP) at a test range in the United States.”

Among other responsibilities, U.S. Strategic Command oversees the nation’s nuclear arsenal.

AP RADIO
Update hourly