NY man charged in $48,000 armed robbery of Verizon store

March 28, 2019

NEW MILFORD - A Yonkers, N.Y. man has been arrested in connection with the August 2017 armed robbery of a Verizon Wireless store in which more than $48,000 in merchandise was stolen.

Anthony Lauria, 27, of Sherwood Avenue in Yonkers, was arrested Wednesday on charges of criminal liability to commit robbery in the first degree and criminal liability to commit larceny in the first degree.

On Aug. 10, 2017 at 7:41 p.m., the New Milford Police Department responded to an armed robbery at the Verizon Wireless Store at 115 Danbury Road.

“After a thorough and extensive investigation, it was determined that a male individual, later identified as Anthony Lauria, had entered the Verizon Wireless store prior to it getting robbed and was inquiring about merchandise,” police said in a release.

“During the time Anthony Lauria entered Verizon Wireless, a black four-door sedan is seen on video surveillance entering the parking lot area of Verizon Wireless. Anthony Lauria exited Verizon Wireless and is seen walking toward the black four-door sedan. The black four-door sedan then re-positions, parking in front of the Verizon Wireless store.

“Moments later, an armed suspect entered through the front door of Verizon Wireless and pointed a black pistol at two employees. Immediately following the first armed suspect entering the business, a second suspect entered. The armed suspect then gave one of the employee’s zip ties and directed him to zip tie his own hands.

“The two suspects then went into the inventory room and started filling up bags with merchandise. As a result of this armed robbery, the suspects made out with over $48,0000 worth of inventory.”

Through witness statements, video surveillance and fingerprint evidence found at the scene; Lauria was arrested.

He was held on a $350,000 bond and was scheduled to appear in Torrington Superior Court on Thursday.

Further arrest warrants for other involved suspects are pending at this time.

“I want to commend our detectives for their hard work and tenacity. They spent countless hours on this case and brought a dangerous suspect to justice.” Chief Spencer Cerruto said.