Related topics

Home destroyed after fireworks reignite in trash

July 5, 2018

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Fire investigators say a fire that destroyed a house near Topeka began when fireworks thrown in the trash reignited.

The Kansas State Fire Marshal’s office says both residents inside the home just south of Topeka city limits escaped the early Thursday fire after being awakened by smoke detectors. Firefighters rescued a dog and cat inside the home.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports firefighters responded to the fire near Lake Sherwood early Thursday.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

Fire investigator Tony Celeste says the fireworks were put in a trash bin near the house after they were shot off Wednesday evening.

He says the blaze damaged two vehicles.


Information from: The Topeka (Kan.) Capital-Journal, http://www.cjonline.com

Update hourly