1 child hospitalized after Bridgeport basement fire
BRIDGEPORT — One child was transported to a local hospital after a basement fire in the city on Saturday left four people displaced.
Firefighters responded for a report of a fire in the 1300 block of Pembroke Street shortly after 7 p.m. The first units on scene reported heavy fire coming from the basement and said that the occupants were being evacuated, according to Deputy Fire Chief Lance Edwards.
Searches of the dwelling after the evacuation were negative, he said.
“The fire was extinguished with minor extension to the first floor,” Edwards said, adding that United Illuminating and the gas company were called to the scene.
No firefighters were injured at the scene.
One child was taken to the hospital, Edwards said. It was unclear if the child suffered smoke inhalation, burns or something else.
The Red Cross was called to provide lodging for the occupants of the home. According to dispatch reports, three adults and one child required help from Red Cross.