8 displaced after lightning strikes Hamden apartments
HAMDEN - A lightning strike started a fire at a Hamden apartment complex Tuesday night.
Eight people living in two apartments were displaced after water damage in their units.
At 11:10 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the apartments at 22 Warner St.
“A heavy band of thunderstorms was moving through the area and Central Communications received multiple 911 calls reporting a lightning strike from the residents in the apartment complex,” Deputy Fire Chief Gary Merwede said in a release.
In less than five minutes, “the first arriving units confirmed structural roof members were smoldering and asphalt singles were displaced and charred,” Merwede said.
Attic walls and common walls were checked for fire extension and smoldering areas were extinguished.
Two apartments sustained light damage from water and fire inspection homes.
Hamden’s building inspector was called to examine electrical services and structural integrity of the building.
The families living in the units will be displaced while repairs are made.
The Red Cross is helping the families for a temporary relocation. In all five adults and three children have been moved to local emergency housing.
No injuries were reported.
“Lightning strikes elsewhere are also thought to be responsible for power outages in other areas of town during the storm,” Merwede said.
“As a precaution UI cut power off to the Warner Street complex, eventually restoring it to the affected apartments.”