AP NEWS
Related topics

Dates in Capital Cities/ABC’s Corporate History

July 31, 1995

Some of important dates in the history of Capital Cities/ABC Inc.:

_ Feb. 9, 1953 _ Federal Communications Commission approves merger of United Paramount Theaters and the American Broadcasting Company, a fledging broadcasting company spun off from RCA Corp. in the early 1940s.

_ Nov. 3, 1954 _ Capital Cities Communications, Inc. founded as the Hudson Valley Broadcasting Company in Albany, N.Y.

_ Oct. 3, 1955 _ ABC’s premieres ``The Mickey Mouse Club,″ a Disney-created show that soars to the No. 1 spot in daytime programming.

_ June 1, 1960 _ ABC Television Network reaches 100 affiliates.

_ April 29, 1961 _ ABC’s ``Wide World of Sports″ premieres, becoming the longest-running sports program in television history.

_ May 15, 1968 _ Capital Cities acquires Fairchild Publications and enters the publishing business.

_ Nov. 8, 1974 _ Capital Cities acquires Carter Publications Inc. of Fort Worth, Texas, a deal which includes the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper.

_ Nov. 3, 1975 _ ``Good Morning America″ premieres on ABC.

_ Feb. 15, 1977 _ Capital Cities acquires the Kansas City Star Company, including the Star and Times newspapers, which later merge into one publication.

_ Sept. 1, 1978 _ Five new stations join ABC Television Network affiliate lineup, bringing the total to 200.

_ Nov. 13, 1980 _ Capital Cities agrees to purchase 43 cable systems from RKO Cablecom General.

_ June 18, 1994 _ Following an earlier purchase of 15 percent of ESPN, ABC acquires the remaining 85 percent interest in the cable sports network. Three months later it sells 20 percent of that stake to Nabisco Brands.

_ March 18, 1985 _ Tom Murphy, chairman of Capital Cities, and Leonard Goldenson, chairman of ABC, announce plans to merge the companies in a deal valued at $3.5 billion.

_ Jan. 3, 1986 _ Capital Cities/ABC Inc. created with approval of merger.

_ Oct. 18, 1988 _ ``Roseanne″ debuts.

_ March 9, 1990 _ Publishing division reorganized into three groups: diversified, fashion and merchandising and financial services and medical.

_ Nov. 28, 1994 _ Capital Cities/ABC and Dreamworks SKG, an entertainment company formed by Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen, create a new television studio to produce programming for all aspects of the television business.

_ July 31, 1995 _ The Walt Disney Co. announces it will acquire Capital Cities/ABC Inc. for $19 billion.

AP RADIO
Update hourly