AP NEWS

Southwest Greensburg motorcyclist treated for smoke inhalation, minor burns after garage fire

September 27, 2018

Southwest Greensburg Borough police officer Jim Shaw surveys damage in garage fire caused by motorcycle that caught fire behind the 400 block of Green Street. The motorcyclist who partially pulled the burning bike from garage was treated at Excela Health Westmoreland hospital in Greensburg for smoke inhalation and minor burns.

A Southwest Greensburg motorcyclist escaped serious injury Friday and likely saved serious damage to a storage garage after his bike caught fire after returning from a short ride, firefighters said.

Southwest Fire Chief Bill Wright Jr. said the blaze was reported just before 3:30 p.m. in a garage located in an alley between the 400 block of Green and Alexander streets.

After leaving for a ride, the cyclist felt something was wrong with his bike and returned to the garage, Wright said. The bike caught fire after he pulled inside.

“Fortunately, he was able to pull the bike back out to the front of the garage, where we could quickly get access to it and we were able to get the fire out and it caused minimal damage,” Wright said.

The motorcyclist, who was not identified, suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation and was transported to Excela Health Westmoreland hospital in Greensburg as a precaution.

Wright said an off-duty Southwest Greensburg policeman Todd Brandt, who is also a firefighter, reported the fire.

AP RADIO
Update hourly