Five things you need to know today, Aug. 8
Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Wednesday, Aug. 8. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The City Council held a special meeting Tuesday evening to establish the property tax rate for the 2019 fiscal year, but was unable to do so because half of the City Council didn’t show up.
2. Superintendent Tom Crowe recommended to the Ector County Independent School District Board of Trustees at Tuesday night’s work study session that teacher retention bonuses be absorbed into their salaries.
3. The Ector County Sheriff’s Office arrested a 23-year-old man and an unknown female after a pursuit that resulted in speeds of up to 100 mph at 10 a.m. Tuesday morning.
4. The Ector County Hospital District board of directors approved a consulting agreement Tuesday night that will identify opportunities for performance improvement in some areas of the hospital’s operations.
5. The Odessa High School Band has begun its practices to kick off marching season with a new director and a theme of “Event Horizon.”