New Aftershock Rattles Southern California As Quake Cleanup Continues With PM-All Shook Up,
New Aftershock Rattles Southern California As Quake Cleanup Continues With PM-All Shook Up, Bjt
LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Yet another sizable aftershock rattled Southern California while officials were still adding up earthquake losses and trying to find housing for 1,500 people left homeless by last week’s earthquake.
The most recent aftershock to follow Thursday’s quake, which killed six people, damaged 10,619 buildings and caused at least $125 million in damage, struck at 4:35 p.m. Tuesday, said Robert Finn, a spokesman for the California Institute of Technology’s seismology lab.
″They could go on for weeks or months,″ Finn said of the post-quake tremors. ″We’re still getting aftershocks from the Palm Springs quake of July 1986.″
Tuesday’s tremor, centered in the quake’s aftershock zone about 10 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, measured 3 on the Richter scale and was clearly felt downtown. It apparently caused no new damage.
The aftershock was the 26th to register at least 3 on the Richter scale. The biggest, measuring 5.5, struck Sunday morning, terrifying residents who had begun to settle down after Thursday’s quake and adding to damage in Orange and Los Angeles counties.
Officials say that as the number of quake-condemned buildings increases they are finding it more difficult to provide places to stay for those left homeless.
″Our real problem is temporary housing,″ said Red Cross spokesman Ralph Wright. ″It is the toughest problem in this disaster because we don’t have enough low-income housing in this city.″
An estimated 1,500 people were left homeless by the quake as of Tuesday. Wright said about 1,400 had moved into nine Red Cross shelters.
The local Red Cross, which already has provided more than $1 million in aid to about 10,000 quake victims, is also financially strapped, and suffered more than $100,000 damage to its Alhambra and Whittier centers.
It received $100,000 Tuesday from the Gannett Foundation and two local radio stations have launched a $1 million fund drive, but more is needed, Wright said. ″We are hurting. It’s a million-dollar headache,″ he said.
Cleanup operations continued Tuesday in Whittier and Alhambra, two of the areas hardest hit by the quake.
The streets are still cordoned off in downtown Whittier, where Thursday’s 6.1 magnitude quake took its heaviest toll.
″We are contacting those property owners and asking them to take immediate action to demolish the buildings,″ said city spokeswoman Sandra Castleman. ″We will do it if they don’t move quickly.″
So far, 20 buildings have been condemned and more than 2,200 houses reported damaged in Whittier.
Officials said Tuesday that quake damage will rise above the $125 million figure given President Reagan the day before for federal disaster consideration.
″We know there’s more out there. This is the minimum figure,″ said Keith Harrison of the state Office of Emergency Services.
Government agencies, anticipating a presidential disaster declaration in Los Angeles and Orange counties, are preparing to open one-stop disaster assistance application centers, Harrison said.
″We are securing locations and getting ready to get set up and running,″ he said. ″We’ve asked for Small Business Administration loans, housing assistance and family grants.″
The type of assistance available won’t be known until the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the White House make the declaration, Harrison said, adding he expected ″a rapid response, within a matter of days.″