CLEVELAND (AP) _ Sports talk show host Pete Franklin, making good progress toward recovery from a heart attack and a quadruple coronary bypass operation, has been released from the Cleveland Clinic.
Franklin, 59, has been a Cleveland radio personality for 21 years. He hosts a nightly ″Sportsline″ show in WWWE-AM in Cleveland. Shortly before he became ill, he had accepted an on-air job starting in July at WFAN-AM in New York, a station that plans to use an all-sports format.
Dave Dombrowski, a producer at WWWE, said Franklin plans to spend some time at home recovering before he makes any decisions about his career.
Franklin is known for his sometimes scathing, sometimes comical commentaries on Cleveland’s professional sports teams.
Franklin had the bypass operation May 15, four days after his heart attack. The surgical procedure replaced clogged heart arteries with grafts, improving blood flow. He went home Tuesday.
ATLANTA (AP) - John Niekro, 17, son of former Cleveland Indians knuckleballer Phil Niekro, plans to spend at least two years in college.
The Atlanta Braves, for whom Phil pitched before moving to the New York Yankees, chose young Niekro in baseball’s amateur draft two weeks ago. He said his parents advised him to attend college and play college baseball for at least two years.
Both Niekros said no decision has been made on a college, but it would be a two-year college in Georgia. Phil Niekro said Middle Georgia Junior College, which has a strong baseball program, is a possibility.
Unlike his father and his uncle Joe, who pitches for the Minnesota Twins, John does not throw a knuckleball.
CLEVELAND (AP) - Cleveland Indians left-hander Greg Swindell will miss his next planned start Thursday night against the Boston Red Sox because of a sore left shoulder.
Swindell left Friday night’s game in Seattle after three innings when the shoulder tightened. He was examined Tuesday at Cleveland Clinic and a muscle strain in the back of the left shoulder was discovered.
Rich Yett will take Swindell’s spot in the rotation against Boston. It will be the right-hander’s first start of the season.
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Bobby Chacon, hoping to resume his boxing career after an 18-month layoff, has been granted a license to fight by the Arizona State Boxing Commission.
The commission license was approved Tuesday although the 35-year-old Chacon had been denied a license in his home state of California.
Chacon is scheduled to fight Filiberto Rosas of San Antonio, Texas, on June 23 at a Tucson hotel.
It will be Chacon’s first fight since he was charged with a probation violation in California in 1986 and sentenced to six months in jail.