Blind Man’s Newsstand Will Be Replaced, Mayor Says
NEW YORK (AP) _ A blind man whose newsstand was mistakenly leveled by sanitation workers got a replacement from the city: the stand the crew was supposed to have knocked down.
City officials had at first refused to replace Rosario Civello’s newsstand in his old spot, but Mayor Edward I. Koch intervened.
″Everyone makes mistakes, including those of us in government,″ Koch said. ″The important thing is to right those mistakes.″
The accident occurred Tuesday night when the Sanitation Department destroyed a newsstand that Civello, who is blind, operated for more than a decade. The crew had been sent to tear down an abandoned stand across the street.
Koch said he ″ordered that the newsstand be rebuilt or replaced and turned over to Mr. Civello immediately without cost to him.″
″It’s a great thing,″ said Civello. ″I’m not bitter any more.″