AP NEWS

The Latest: Iran accuses US of ‘lies’ about its missiles

December 12, 2018
1 of 2
Iranian Deputy Ambassador to the United Nations Eshagh Al-Habib speaks during a Security Council meeting on Iran's compliance with the 2015 nuclear agreement, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2018, at United Nations headquarters. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The latest on U.N. Security Council meeting on Iran’s compliance with the 2015 nuclear agreement (all times local):

4:20 p.m.

Iran’s deputy U.N. ambassador is accusing the United States of what he says is “another series of lies, fabrications, disinformation and deceptive statements” about the Iranian ballistic missile program.

Eshagh Al Habib told the U.N. Security Council on Wednesday that “Iran’s ballistic missile program is designed to be exclusively capable of delivering conventional warheads required to deter foreign threats.” He said it is not to deliver nuclear weapons.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo earlier urged the council to again impose a ban on Iranian missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons.

Al Habib accused the U.S. of violating the 2015 Iran nuclear deal by pulling out of the pact and the council resolution that endorsed it. He urged the council “to hold the U.S. accountable” for recently re-imposing sanctions it lifted after the 2015 nuclear deal.

___

12:40 p.m.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has urged the U.N. Security Council to again ban Iranian ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons and to maintain an arms embargo that is scheduled to be lifted in 2020 under the landmark Iran nuclear deal.

He also says the council should prevent Iran from circumventing existing arms restrictions by authorizing the inspection of ships in ports and stopping them on the high seas.

Pompeo spoke at a Security Council meeting Wednesday on Iran’s compliance with the 2015 nuclear agreement that the Trump administration pulled out of earlier this year, and the council resolution endorsing it.

AP RADIO
Update hourly