This Week In Nebraska History, 12/02/18
1878: A private telephone line, Lincoln’s first, was built from the Burlington depot to the land office - a handy thing for the railroad, since it engaged actively in land purchasing.
1888: An excursion train carrying New York capitalists through the West stopped in Lincoln, where the New Yorkers took a tour of the Capital City.
1898: Nebraska retailers were up in arms over reports that Omaha might revive its annual Trans-Mississippi retail exposition.
1908: Residents along E Street expressed fears that new asphalt surface was applied when the weather was too cold.
1918: All draft calls in Nebraska were canceled as a result of the Nov. 11 armistice that ended hostilities in World War I.
1928: Nebraska captured the first football championship of the new Big Six conference with an 8-0 win over Kansas State. Only 10,000 fans were in Memorial Stadium to see the victory. Other conference members were Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas and Oklahoma.
1938: Harvey Johnson, Omaha attorney and president of the Nebraska State Bar Association, was named to the Nebraska Supreme Court by Gov. R.L. Cochran.
1948: Nebraska was digging out from under the first snowstorm of what would be a very bad winter. In Hastings, it cost $15,000 to clear away the 10-inch snow.
1958: A 12-man jury at Rushville found Lloyd Grandsinger not guilty of the 1954 death of State Trooper Marvin Hansen. Grandsinger was earlier sentenced to death for the murder but obtained a new trial.
1968: A mobile crane at the First National Bank construction site at 13th and M streets tipped, and its boom fell, breaking ground-level windows in The Cornhusker hotel across M Street.
1978: Nebraska’s nine newly elected state senators began orientation sessions at the Nebraska Center. They were: Vard Johnson, Peter Hoagland and Carol McBride Pirsch, all of Omaha; Dave Landis, Chris Beutler and Don Wesely, all of Lincoln; Rex Haberman of Imperial; Tom Vickers of Farnam; and Harold Sieck of Pleasant Dale.
1988: A six-month exhibition of the B. Gerald Cantor Collection opened at the Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery. The collection included 30 works by Auguste Rodin, considered by many the father of modern sculpture. Cantor’s Rodin collection was the world’s largest and most comprehensive.
1998: After being downtown for 70 years, DuTeau Chevrolet Co. announced plans to move south of 27th Street and Pine Lake Road.