Evacuation lifted at Cross Pointe Centre in Fayetteville after gas line struck
Authorities said Cross Pointe Centre in Fayetteville has reopened after several businesses were evacuated after a construction crew struck a gas line Saturday afternoon, three days after a similar incident in Durham ignited a blast and fire that shook the city’s downtown.
No injuries were reported at the shopping center, located at 5075 Morganton Road, according to a statement from the Fayetteville Fire Department. Authorities gave the all clear at 5:51 p.m.
Crews were called to the area around 3:45 p.m. after receiving a report of a gas odor.
When firefighters arrived, the found that a construction crew had struck a gas line under the parking lot, according to the statement. Hazmat crews and Piedmont Natural Gas workers were called to the scene to cap the leak, the statement said.
Several businesses have been evacuated while authorities work to contain the leak.
Some roads in the area were closed while crews responded to the incident, according to Fayetteville police.
Cross Creek Mall, which is across Morganton Road, has not been affected by the lead, the police statement said.
The crew that struck the line was not immediately disclosed.
According to VisitNC.com, the strip shopping center was built in 1986 and renovated in 2003. It sits at the intersection of Morganton Road and Skibo Roads, and includes several stores as such as TJ Maxx, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Shoe Carnival.
The incident occurred just a few days after a contractor struck a line in downtown Durham, igniting a blast and fire that has been blamed for the death of at least one person and sent over a dozen other people to hospitals.