IOC Asked To Review Decision
SYDNEY, Australia (AP) _ Diver Arturo Miranda is 0 for 2 in trying to compete at Olympics, but still has another chance.
A three-member panel of the International Court of Arbitration for Sport on Wednesday asked the International Olympic Committee to review an earlier decision prohibiting the Cuba-born diver from representing Canada at the Olympics.
The court of arbitration also asked the IOC to review a rule that says if an athlete changes citizenship, his home country can veto participation for his new one for three years.
That follows the IOC’s previous rejection of Miranda’s appeal to be allowed to dive for Canada. At the time, the IOC said he lacked the required waiver from Cuba.
``We knew we were going to get a negative response,″ said Mitch Geller, Canada’s diving coach. ``I thought they were quite regretful they had to give a negative reply.″
Miranda was born in Havana but became a Canadian citizen in December. The Edmonton resident had competed for Cuba in the past. To dive for Canada, he needed a release from his former country under IOC rules.
The Cubans refused to grant the release and protested Miranda’s presence on the Canadian team. The IOC ruled him ineligible last week.
``It has been nine years since he represented Cuba,″ Geller said. ``We went through all the channels to try and secure his release but the Cubans basically made a decision, a rule invariably across the board, not to give releases. They won’t look at individual cases.″
Miranda was a member of the Cuban Olympic team in 1992 but never got to the Barcelona Games. He was dropped from the squad 15 days before the squad left Havana, with officials citing financial reasons.