North Carolina high school postpones football after outbreak
LEXINGTON, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina high school has postponed its football games this week after 25 players were affected by an undisclosed skin infection.
The Winston-Salem Journal reports officials with Davidson County Schools have declined to disclose the nature of the inspection, citing the privacy of the players at Oak Grove High School.
Davidson County Health Director Lillian Koontz said Thursday that she had been notified about the outbreak on Wednesday, but didn’t know what type of bacteria was involved.
A statement from the school system said personnel are taking steps to disinfect the entire school to prevent further infections.
Coach Mark Holcomb said the infection was discovered at practice Tuesday. The affected players were expected to return to school Thursday, while unaffected players continued to practice through the week.
Information from: Winston-Salem Journal, http://www.journalnow.com