AP NEWS
Click to copy
Click to copy

Gas leak prompts hotel evacuation, sends 16 to hospital

mtsktvmJuly 13, 2019

BUTTE, Mont. (AP) — A gas leak prompted the evacuation of a central Montana hotel and sent 16 people to the hospital for treatment.

Butte Silver-Bow fire officials said emergency personnel responded to the Quality Inn in Butte at about 7:30 a.m. on Saturday after guests reported they smelled a chlorine-like odor and felt ill.

Two wings of the hotel were evacuated due to the presence of high carbon monoxide levels and 16 people were taken to St. James Healthcare for treatment.

KTVM reports that the cause of the leak was suspected to be the furnace of the hotel’s pool.

Guests were allowed to return to their rooms after about three hours.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.