Webber Makes First Start for Kings
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) _ Sacramento forward Chris Webber was in the starting lineup for the first time this season on Sunday night after missing the Kings’ first 20 games with a sprained right ankle.
Webber, who signed a seven-year, $122.7 million contract in the offseason, was activated from the injured list before the game against the Miami Heat. He received a standing ovation from the crowd at Arco Arena when his name was announced with Sacramento’s starters.
The power forward sprained the ankle during a preseason game against the Dallas Mavericks on Oct. 14. Webber declined comment, saying only that he was suiting up and getting ready to play after being activated from the injured list Sunday.
``He had no problems in practice,″ Kings coach Rick Adelman said. ``He ran well. He moved well. It’s time to see how he can do in games.″
Adelman said Webber’s court time will be limited.
``I know he’s not going to play 40,″ Adelman said. ``I want to see how he’s playing and how the game is progessing.″
Webber, who made the All-NBA team last season, was the league’s sixth-leading scorer, averaging 27.1 points, 11.1 rebounds and 4.2 assists. As the top scorer on the NBA’s highest-scoring team, he led Sacramento to a 55-27 record and the second round of the playoffs.
Webber missed 12 games last year with a recurring left ankle sprain.
To make room on the roster for Webber, the Kings placed forward Lawrence Funderburke on the injured list with right Achilles’ tendinitis.