ARC Reports a $500M Increase in April Travel Agency Air Ticket Sales
ARLINGTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 22, 2019--
Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) announced today that the consolidated dollar value of airline tickets sold in April 2019 by U.S.-based travel agencies increased 6% compared to April 2018, totaling $9 billion vs. $8.5 billion.* The average U.S. round-trip ticket price was $499, virtually flat when compared to April 2018.
The total number of passenger trips settled by ARC for U.S. travel agencies increased 4% to 27,721,382 compared to 26,636,678 in April 2018. U.S. domestic trips increased 4.2% while international passenger trips grew 3.9%.
Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD) ** sales in April 2019 totaled $8.5 million, a 23.7% increase compared to the same period in 2018. EMD transactions decreased by 4% year-over-year.
More detailed information is available on ARC’s website.
An industry leader in air travel distribution and intelligence, ARC settled $94.8 billion in ticket transactions in 2018 between airlines and travel agencies, representing more than 295 million passenger trips. ARC provides flexible distribution solutions, innovative technology and access to the world’s most comprehensive air ticket transaction data, helping the global air travel community connect, grow and thrive. For more information, please visit www.arccorp.com.
Notes for Editors:
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending April 30, 2019, from 12,063 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly-issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. Domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all of the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
©2019 Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190522005553/en/
CONTACT: Peter Abzug
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA VIRGINIA
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: TECHNOLOGY ONLINE RETAIL DATA MANAGEMENT TRANSPORT AIR TRAVEL TRANSPORTATION RETAIL
SOURCE: Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC)
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 05/22/2019 10:55 AM/DISC: 05/22/2019 10:55 AM