Guam man convicted of sexually assaulting 3 girls
HAGATNA, Guam (AP) — Prosecutors intend to seek a maximum sentence of life without parole for a Guam man convicted of sexually assaulting three girls.
The Pacific Daily News reports (http://is.gd/xD9ZsS) that Nicholas Camaddu, 52, was convicted of six counts of criminal sexual conduct. The verdict came Tuesday after a day of deliberations and a weeklong trial.
Camaddu was arrested last year after one of the girls, not yet a teenager, reported that she was pregnant. Police then uncovered the two other victims.
During the trial, one of Camaddu’s victims testified that he said he would kill her family if she told anyone about the abuse. The oldest of the victims, who is now an adult, told police Camaddu had molested her for about a decade, from the time she was 8 years old.
Prosecutors plan to pursue a sentence of life in prison without parole, according to Carlina Charfauros, spokeswoman for Attorney General Leonardo Rapadas. Sentencing is set for June 20.
Camaddu previously was convicted of criminal sexual conduct in 1979 after he and two other men raped a woman at knifepoint. The judge in that case described the crime as “gruesome” and said he regretted not being able to sentence Camaddu to life in prison.
“The defendant is a career rapist who must be locked up for a long time,” Attorney General Leonardo Rapadas said in response to Tuesday’s conviction.