AP NEWS

Lawsuit contends Washington state utility caused fatal fire

June 25, 2019

EVERETT, Wash. (AP) — The family of a Washington state man who died in a house fire has filed a lawsuit against a public utility.

The Everett Herald reported Saturday that the family of 93-year-old Glen Allen filed the wrongful death lawsuit against the Snohomish County Public Utility District.

Officials say Allen and his wife were at home in January 2017 when they smelled smoke at 4:20 a.m. and attempted to flee before Allen fell and became trapped inside.

The lawsuit argues the fire was caused by a failure of electrical lines installed by the utility at the house near Snohomish, 9 miles (14 kilometers) southeast of Everett.

The lawsuit did not specify the monetary damages sought.

A spokesman says the utility does not comment on ongoing litigation.

___

Information from: The Daily Herald, http://www.heraldnet.com

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.