FDNY: Electrical problem caused fire that killed woman, 95
NEW YORK (AP) — Fire marshals say an electrical problem involving a power strip sparked a fire that killed a 95-year-old woman in her Brooklyn home.
The Fire Department of New York tweeted Sunday that fire marshals determined the blaze was accidental. They also found there were no working smoke alarms in the home on East 93rd Street in the Canarsie neighborhood.
The fire happened Saturday afternoon. Firefighters found the victim, Anna Barthelemy, in the basement.
Her daughter, Esther Benoit, tells WCBS-TV that she tried to get her mother out of the house, but the smoke was too heavy.
A firefighter and one other person suffered minor injuries in the blaze.